The report said: “Investigations have revealed two likely main scenarios: the fire started as a result of friction heat created by the collapse of the container stacks. This ignited the contents of the containers and the fire developed from there.”Or: “The fire was initiated at an early stage, perhaps even before the containers were loaded on board. After having slowly smouldered for a long time, the collapse of the containers created a sudden burst of oxygen which made the fire flare up and develop.“In both scenarios the collapse of containers is considered a major contributing factor to the fire,” the report summed up, although it added that there was no evidence to support one theory over the other.The vessel had been through some heavy weather two days before the fire was discovered, during which time the crew found the lashings of two containers in bay 90 had come loose and the stack was swaying 1.5 metres from side to side.The containers had all been loaded in Shanghai, and it was the first time since the vessel had been built in 2008 that it had carried an eight-high stack in bay 90.According to shipper declarations, all the containers were within legal weight limits, although “several stacks on bay 90 were in the region of 97-99% of the maximum allowable load”.Speaking at last week’s TOC Container Supply Chain event in London, container safety expert Bill Brassington said the margin for error that allowed was too small, and he suggested mandatory weighing of containers could have prevented the incident.“Would it have made a difference if these containers had been weighed before loading? Most certainly.”Recent research by Mr Brassington found that the average weight of containers has been on the increase: from 17.4 tonnes for a 20ft in 2010, to 21 tonnes in 2013.“Based on this, the total mass on a 10-high stack would be 189,153kg, which is just 3,000kg under the IMO’s upper limit, and means that if just two containers are out by half a tonne the limit has been reached,” he said.In the case of Eugen Maersk, some damage was discovered to containers that had occurred prior to the fire. However, according to maintenance reports, the boxes themselves were in good condition and had recently undergone repairs.DMAIB wrote: “The reason for the collapse of containers leading up to the fire was most likely a combination of factors, including their structural integrity, the weather conditions, the stack weights, the lashings and dynamic forces acting on the ship.“As containers are not weighed upon loading, it is uncertain whether some stack loads exceeded the maximum acceptable load and thus could have contributed to the collapse of the container stacks,” it continued. By Gavin van Marle 03/07/2014 Weighing containers before loading aboard ship last year could have averted a stack collapse judged to have contributed to a container fire on the 15,500teu Eugene Maersk last year, it has been claimed.Classified by the International Maritime Organization (IMO) as a “serious casualty”, Eugene Maersk crew members saw smoke billowing from stern-most container stacks at bay 90, while it was transiting the pirate-inhabited waters of the Gulf of Aden.After efforts to put out the fire were unsuccessful, the vessel docked in the DP World-operated port of Djibouti the following day. There, the fire was finally extinguished some five days after it was first noticed.Altogether, 16 containers were destroyed or damaged, and the Danish Maritime Accident Investigation Board (DMaib) report into the incident found that a collapsed stack was either the cause of the fire, or had substantially exacerbated it.
Ann MacMillan Wacker, co-master of Cabot House from 1978 to 1984, died May 18. Wacker was married to Warren E.C. Wacker, Henry K. Oliver Professor of Hygiene Emeritus and, from 1971 to 1989, the director of University Health Services.The Wackers were popular House masters, and Ann was a warm and generous person, known for her giving spirit. The two were ardent supporters of the Cabot Musical Theatre, as well as fervent advocates for public service.A memorial service is planned for Sept. 12 at 2 p.m. in Memorial Church. In lieu of flowers, memorial contributions may be made to a charity of the donor’s choice.
Some quarters of the Olympic Movement in Japan have suggested electing one of Japan’s two members on the International Olympic Committee as JOC president.Chiharu Igaya and Shunichiro Okano, however, both turned 70 this year and JOC officials at Thursday’s meeting argued that the JOC’s mandatory retirement age of 70 should be respected.The JOC executive board is expected to discuss the issue further at its meeting next Tuesday.Members of the administrative committee said it might be permissible for an IOC member over 70 to serve on the JOC executive board, but held firm that such a member should not be elected to the JOC’s top posts of president, vice president or secretary general.Yagi was elected JOC president in March after an exception was made to the JOC bylaws, under which candidates must be under the age of 70.The JOC reasoned that it was better to keep Yagi as president to provide a foundation of continuity to Osaka’s bid to host the 2008 Olympics prior to the IOC’s vote in July.Osaka was eliminated on the first ballot of the vote won by the Chinese capitol of Beijing. IN FIVE EASY PIECES WITH TAKE 5 The administration and coordination committee of the Japanese Olympic Committee on Thursday voiced its opposition to selecting a successor over 70 years old for the late Yushiro Yagi.Yagi, who had been elected to the JOC’s top post for a second term in March, died Sunday after collapsing in the sauna at an Osaka hotel. He was 72. GET THE BEST OF THE JAPAN TIMES
LATEST STORIES LeBron James stretches lead in NBA All-Star Game fan voting NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption PLAY LIST 02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award03:05Malakanyang bilib sa Phivolcs | Chona Yu Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard Eduard Folayang gets new opponent for ONE Manila card MOST READ Pagadian on tighter security for 100,000 expected at Sto. Niño feast Phivolcs: Slim probability of Taal Volcano caldera eruption Also winning individual awards were F2 Logistics’ Ara Galang (Best Outside Spiker, local), Aby Maraño (Best Middle Blocker, local) and Dawn Macandili (Best Libero).PLDT’s Grace Lazard and Aiko Urdas ran away with the Best Middle Blocker, foreign and Best Opposite Spiker, local awards, respectively.Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next “We’re not yet done. We will work hard to win more titles,” Delos Santos added.Petron’s Stephanie Niemer bagged the Most Valuable Player award and the Best Scorer diadem, while fellow import Khat Bell was Best Outside Hitter (foreign). Rhea Dimaculangan was Best Setter.Immediately, Niemer and Bell said they are open to returning next year.Delos Santos said the edge Petron had over F2 proved to be their communication.“We had a small talk after losing Game 1 and that proved to be the pivotal point because we really understood each other,” he added.ADVERTISEMENT Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Will you be the first P16 Billion Powerball jackpot winner from the Philippines? Etheridge, Cardiff relegated And to make it even scarier for the Superliga field, coach Shaq delos Santos vowed that they will be working even harder.“We give our 100 percent every conference, whether we’re the reigning champions or not,” Delos Santos said. “We have no plans of taking it easy because we want to have a winning culture at Petron.”FEATURED STORIESSPORTSGolden State Warriors sign Lee to multiyear contract, bring back ChrissSPORTSCoronation night?SPORTSThirdy Ravena gets offers from Asia, Australian ball clubsPetron trounced F2 Logistics in the best-of-three finals, 2-1, winning 19 of the 20 total games—highlighted by an astounding 17-game winning streak from the eliminations to the title series.That streak is an all-time longest, surpassing the franchise’s 14-game sweep to the All-Filipino title four years ago. Duterte lambasts Catholic Church anew in curse-laden speech before Filipino Baptists Solon urges Solgen to reconsider quo warranto petition vs ABS-CBN The Witcher series prompts over 500,000 reprints of Andrzej Sapkowski’s books With six conference titles under its belt, Petron is not stopping anytime soon.That’s the underlying sentiment inside the Blaze Spikers’ locker room in the din of the revelry over their masterful Philippine Superliga Grand Prix campaign Saturday night.ADVERTISEMENT View comments