All-India Tennis Association (AITA) general secretary Hironmoy Chatterjee has called on Leander Paes and Mahesh Bhupathi to behave maturely after the two tennis legends took potshots at each other over selection in India’s Davis Cup team.The rift between the country’s two tennis stalwarts widened after Bhupathi dropped Paes and instead picked Rohan Bopanna in his final four-man team for Davis Cup Asia/Oceania Zone Group I tie against Uzbekistan.Bhupathi had previously selected Yuki Bhambri, Ramkumar Ramanathan, Prajnesh Gunneswaran and N. Sriram Balaji for the tie, and had kept both Paes and Bopanna as reserves in the squad. (Lee-Hesh war gets uglier)Following Bhambri’s withdrawal due to his knee injury, it was speculated that either of Paes and Bopanna would be included in the team as the fourth member.However, Bhupathi ended Paes’ hopes of making it to the Davis Cup squad by saying he wasn’t willing to take the risk of playing Paes and N. Sriram Balaji together in such a high-pressure game.Bhupathi said he had no “personal agenda” in keeping Paes out of the squad. Appearing on India Today, Bhupathi revealed several WhatsApp exchanges with Paes to say that he was never really in the scheme of things for selection in the Davis Cup team.However, Paes, who was left out of the Davis Cup for the first time in 27 years, had lashed out at Bhupathi and accused him of flouting section criteria.The entire episode has once again opened a can of worms, leaving the entire tennis fraternity embarrassed. (Talk is cheap, history books don’t lie: Paes)advertisementHironmoy Chatterjee, AITA secretary general, told India Today that both Bhupathi and Paes are over 40 and should behave maturely.”I just came from Bangalore. I think we need to talk to them separately and together. I think both the players should behave maturely, both of them are over 40 years of age,” he told India Today.Chatterjee said the association will talk to both Paes and Bhupathi and will ensure that this does not get repeated.”Whatever they have said in the public is not appreciated by us (AITA) and we will talk to them. I haven’t had a chat with Leander but I hope to.”Once we have the captain’s report we will go through and do what is required. Whatever it is (Leander’s achievements) we will speak to the players and ensure that this doesn’t get repeated,” he said.
QUEBEC — The governing Coalition Avenir Quebec has passed its first electoral test since winning the Oct. 1 provincial vote, easily capturing the riding of Roberval left vacant by former Liberal premier Philippe Couillard.With three-quarters of the votes counted in a byelection Monday, Coalition candidate Nancy Guillemette, director of a local mental-health organization, was well ahead with more than 50 per cent of the total.Premier Francois Legault joined Guillemette on stage to celebrate the win. On Twitter he wrote, “Thanks to this victory, we now have 75 elected members. Not bad for a new party!”Couillard had won the riding in Quebec’s Lac-Saint-Jean region by a wide margin Oct. 1, taking 42 per cent of the votes compared with 24 per cent for the second-place Coalition candidate, Denise Trudel.The seat has been empty since Couillard quit politics days after his party’s crushing loss.With the win, the Coalition Avenir Quebec, founded by Legault in 2011, has 75 seats in the 125-seat legislature. It is followed by the Liberals at 29 and the Parti Quebecois and Quebec solidaire at 10 each. There is one Independent member.Parti Quebecois candidate Thomas Gaudreault was in second place Monday with about 18 per cent of the votes, and Liberal William Laroche had 15 per cent. Quebec solidaire candidate Luc-Antoine Cauchon was fourth with about 12 per cent, and three other candidates split the remainder.Just over a third of eligible voters cast a ballot, according to preliminary figures from Elections Quebec.The Canadian Press
Trina Roache APTN National NewsIn Nova Scotia, the name Edward Cornwallis is everywhere. Buildings are named after him, so is a Canadian Coast Guard vessel. Parks have statues and streets post his name.But Edward Cornwallis had a very dark side. He offered money for the scalps of Mi’kmaq men, women and children. For years, there has been a movement to rid the city of Halifax of references to him.On Tuesday night, Halifax city council voted on a motion to get a public debate started on whether they should be honouring [email protected]
TCI: More active Hurricane Season predicted and DDME gives thorough update on its readiness Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp Related Items:DDME, EMAP Turks and Caicos is first to add Disaster Management to the Tourism portfolio Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsAppProvidenciales, 11 Sept 2015 – The Turks and Caicos Islands Government, through the Department of Disaster Management and Emergencies (DDME), has applied for Emergency Management Accreditation Program certification also known as EMAP.EMAP is the only accreditation and assessment process that exists for emergency management programs worldwide. The assessment will examine all phases of the disaster management cycle, which included preparedness, prevention, mitigation, response and recovery. DDME expects the certification to further strengthen their institutional and operational capacity. TCI: Hard-working DDME lauded as Hurricane Preparedness Month officially opened Recommended for you