PETA has long heralded Prince Charles’ stand against serving cruelly produced foie gras at Royal functions. So when the group recently rescued three geese from torture and slaughter at a foie gras farm in France, it could think of nothing more appropriate than naming one of the birds after a true friend, His Royal Highness The Prince of Wales – who celebrates his 64th birthday on 14 November.PETA has sent the heir to the throne a framed certificate commemorating the tribute.Foie gras is produced by force-feeding ducks and geese huge amounts of grain through a metal tube that is shoved down their throats several times a day. Force-feeding birds such a massive volume of food causes their livers to swell to as much as 10 times their normal size, resulting in a disease known as “hepatic steatosis”. The pipes sometimes puncture the birds’ throats, and many birds suffer from ruptured internal organs, fungal and bacterial infections and liver failure. A recent PETA UK investigation into foie gras farms in France from which Fortnum & Mason’s distributor obtains foie gras revealed terrified geese who pant constantly because their distended livers press against their lungs. At the abattoir, the birds kicked and struggled to lift their heads after a knife had been plunged into their throats. They had not been stunned first – in violation of French animal welfare laws.“The Prince has taken an admirable stand against a product so vile that its production is banned in the UK”, says PETA Senior Programmes Manager Yvonne Taylor. “We could think of no better tribute than to name one of the gentle geese rescued from a foie gras farm during our investigation in his honour.”“Prince Charles” will now spend the rest of his days at an animal sanctuary in France along with a fellow escapee who evaded the force-feeding villains – a goose named Sir Roger after PETA’s foie gras campaign ambassador, Sir Roger Moore.For more information, please visit PETA.org.uk.
Advertisement Josh Brolin was spotted for the first time ever on the set of Deadpool 2. He was in full costume as Cable, the time travelling maniac and comrade of Ryan Reynold’s titular comic book character.He was joined on set by Zazie Beetz, who will be playing Domino in the Vancouver-shot sequel.Deadpool 2 took over Hastings street for most of holiday Monday, taking advantage of being able to close the streets for the entire day. It will continue to shoot in downtown Vancouver for a few more days as well. Photo by Ken R / Daily Hive Photo by Ken R / Daily Hive Photo by Ken R / Daily Hive Photo by Ken R / Daily Hive Photo by Ken R / Daily Hive Photo by Ken R / Daily Hive Photo by Ken R / Daily Hive Photo by Ken R / Daily Hive Photo by Ken R / Daily Hive Photo by Ken R / Daily Hive Login/Register With: LEAVE A REPLY Cancel replyLog in to leave a comment Photo by Ken R / Daily Hive Advertisement Facebook Twitter
Advertisement Login/Register With: LEAVE A REPLY Cancel replyLog in to leave a comment Advertisement Facebook A legal dispute playing out in a Los Angeles courthouse between two Canadian musicians has brought forward a central issue of the #MeToo movement: What rights do women have to speak publicly about their alleged abusers?Claudio Palmieri, songwriter and producer of Crystal Castles, a band that started in Toronto, has launched a civil lawsuit against the group’s former lead singer, Margaret Osborn, for defamation after she accused him of sexual, physical and psychological abuse on her website in October. He has denied the allegations.In a written statement to the Star, one of Palmieri’s lawyers, Shane Bernard, said “The truth of the matter is that my client never physically or sexually assaulted (Osborn) and categorically (denies) these false and malicious allegations.” Advertisement None of the allegations has been proven in court.Osborn, who goes by the stage name Alice Glass, was sued in November, a little more than a week after she posted her accusations online accusing Palmieri, 40, of abusing her over a period of nearly a decade, starting when she was 15. Twitter
Related Items: Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp#Bahamas, February 19, 2018 – Nassau – Sadly, but not surprising, the Progressive Liberal Party finds the nerve to criticize the Labour On The Blocks initiative held on Grand Bahama this past Saturday at Columbus Park, Freeport, and the launching of three related events carried out in New Providence several weeks ago.The Progressive Liberal Party left the economy of Grand Bahama in a devastated state, and by extension, the Bahamas on the brink of yet another downgrade. Thousands of Bahamians remain jobless as a result of the PLP’s shameful mismanagement in government. Labour On The Blocks has realized 800 jobs for Bahamians in New Providence. A number of Grand Bahama residents were hired on the spot on Saturday.About 1,300 job seekers were added to the Department of Labour’s database on Grand Bahama as a result of Saturday’s event. This database is most important as a significant number of job opportunities are set for Grand Bahama in the near future. The revitalized Ginn project in West Grand Bahama, major oil refinery development in the East, and the reopening of the Grand Lucayan Resort are on schedule to create significant employment.We again take this opportunity to thank the many corporate entities on Grand Bahama and from throughout the Bahamas for joining forces with the Ministry of Labour to ensure the success of Labour On The Blocks.As the FNM government continues with its commitment to revive Grand Bahama and grow our national economy by empowering Bahamians, we will not be distracted by the PLP. Labour On The Blocks is making headway while a desperate Opposition seeking to return to power is trying to make misleading headlines.Press Release: Ministry of Labour