Cowboys TE Jason Witten to Avoid Spleen Surgery

Jason Witten – What has been a physically trying preseason for the Dallas Cowboys got a little better when team doctors informed tight end Jason Witten that he will not need season-ending surgery to repair a lacerated spleen, ESPN reported Wednesday.The bleeding in Witten’s spleen has finally subsided, leading his doctors to believe that it will heal on its own.Witten, who suffered the injury during an Aug. 13 preseason game against the Oakland Raiders, is still aiming to return in time for the Cowboys’ Sept. 5 regular-season opener against New York Giants, but it remains unclear whether he will be ready to play again so soon.A more likely return could be in Week 2, when Dallas plays at Seattle.The news will be welcomed by a team that has been devastated by injuries so far this preseason, particularly throughout its receiving corps. In addition to Witten, Dallas will likely be minus quarterback Tony Romo’s two other top threats in wide receivers Dez Bryant (knee) and Miles Austin (hamstring) until the start of the regular season.Witten, however, is the glue that often keeps the offense together and his loss would have been a major blow to a Dallas team trying to shed its underachieving label of recent years. The nine-year veteran and seven-time Pro Bowl selection is Romo’s unquestioned go-to guy, hauling in 409 passes for 4,824 yards and 21 touchdowns since Romo took over as the starter in 2006.Witten, who is also a key part of the Dallas ground game with his blocking on the edge, has missed just one game in his career because of a fractured jaw he suffered as a rookie in 2003. He’s played through a broken rib, as well as knee and ankle injuries.Witten totaled 79 catches for 942 yards and five touchdowns a year ago, passing Hall of Famer Ozzie Newsome as the tight end with the third-most receptions in NFL history. read more

ChinaBacked Hackers May Have Infiltrated Apples iCloud

first_img Enroll Now for Free Apple Inc’s iCloud storage and backup service in China was attacked by hackers trying to steal user credentials, a Chinese web monitoring group said, adding that it believes the country’s government is behind the campaign.Using what is called a “man-in-the-middle” (MITM) attack, the hackers interposed their own website between users and Apple’s iCloud server, intercepting data and potentially gaining access to passwords, iMessages, photos and contacts, Greatfire.org wrote in its blog post.Greatfire.org, a group that conducts research on Chinese Internet censorship, alleged government involvement in the attack, saying it resembled previous attacks on Google Inc, Yahoo Inc and Microsoft Corp’s Hotmail.Asked about the attack, Hua Chunying, a spokeswoman for China’s Foreign Ministry, told a daily news briefing that Beijing was “resolutely opposed” to hacking. She said the Chinese government itself was a major victim of such attacks.The attack cited by Greatfire comes several weeks after Apple said it would begin storing iCloud data for Chinese users on China Telecom servers.It also coincided with the start of iPhone 6 sales in China, which began Friday after weeks of talks between China and Apple over what the government said were cyber security concerns.Two independent security experts contacted by Reuters said Greatfire’s report appeared credible.”All the evidence I’ve seen would support that this is a real attack,” said Mikko Hypponnen, chief research officer at security software developer F-Secure. “The Chinese government is directly attacking Chinese users of Apple’s products.”Greatfire.org said the attack most likely could not have been staged without the knowledge of Internet providers like China Telecom, given they appeared to originate from “deep within the Chinese domestic Internet backbone”.But the group said the attack may not be linked to Apple’s recent decision to store user data on China Telecom servers.”The previous MITM attacks all showed the same characteristics as this one,” Greatfire.org co-founder Charlie Smith said by email. “Apple did not need to be doing anything with China Telecom for this attack to happen, i.e. the authorities did not need that relationship to stage an attack like this one.”It was unclear if the hackers were still active. Apple did not have an immediate comment when contacted.A China Telecom spokesman said: “The accusation is untrue and unfounded.”Apple said at the time the move to China Telecom was made to improve the speed of service for Chinese servers and flatly denied the possibility that it would expose user data.The United States and Western companies have accused Chinese-backed hackers of infiltrating government and corporate websites and services, but Beijing has repeatedly denied its involvement in such attacks.(Reporting by Jim Finkle in BOSTON and Gerry Shih and Ben Blanchard in BEIJING; Writing by Edwin Chan; Editing by Andre Grenon, Miral Fahmy and Stephen Coates) Free Workshop | August 28: Get Better Engagement and Build Trust With Customers Now October 21, 2014 This story originally appeared on Reuters This hands-on workshop will give you the tools to authentically connect with an increasingly skeptical online audience. 3 min readlast_img read more