Third graders at Rosehill Elementary School on Wednesday served up 25-cent cups of lemonade as the culmination of a unit on economics — and helped a good cause in the processThe third graders hosted the school’s 5th annual Alex’s Lemonade Stand — associated with Alex’s Lemonade Stand Foundation, an organization started by parents who lost a daughter to childhood cancer. The foundation raises money and awareness for childhood cancer research and treatment. Assistant Principal Dustin Springer said the third grade teachers are creative with approaches to curriculum in an effort to find ways to involve philanthropy.“[The teachers] have such huge hearts,” Springer said. “I think when they have an opportunity to tie their economics lesson into being able to give back — and especially to give back to something like childhood cancer — they were all for it. They jumped on it.”Meghan Spalding, one of the three third grade teachers at the school, said the students created their own businesses last week and tried to make as much money as possible by selling products to second graders. The conversation shifted this week to businesses with the sole intention of helping others, not making money: foundations and nonprofits like Alex’s Lemonade Stand.There were many jobs available to the students including lemonade pourer.Students ran the lemonade stand from 9 a.m. to 11 a.m. and again from 1 p.m. to 3 p.m., and raised $559.36 yesterday. Spalding said the students from the three classes had shifts, and were assigned one of the following jobs: pourer, money handler, photographer, runner and host. Other students made greeting cards and decorations for children currently at Children’s Mercy Hospital, she said.Additionally, the students and their families donated the cups and lemonade for the stand. Spalding said this helps show the kids that when everyone comes together for a greater purpose than yourself, “something so much bigger can be accomplished.” Acts of kindness intended for others, and not just focusing on yourself, was one of the main lessons of the lemonade stand, she said.“The organization is something that the kids really connect to, because Alex was their age when she passed away,” Spalding said. “She started lemonade stands and decided she wanted to give the money to hospitals so other kids didn’t have to be sick like her, and it really resonates with the third graders.”
Nordana, a multipurpose RoRo and project cargo shipping company, is adding a new Mediterranean service that is scheduled to commence operation mid June.The service is expected to further enhance the route network already in place with existing services. The Nordana Med Service will provide new connections to Algeria, Tunisia, Libya, and Black Sea ports, while also improving frequency on some of the major ports already serviced in Egypt, Lebanon, and Turkey.Initially the service will have a 30-day frequency with timing aligned to the Mediterranean-Americas service schedule, so that frequency on main ports will be 15 days.The service will be operated by the Nordana vessel MV Stjerneborg that was previously engaged in the Mediterranean – Americas service. The Stjerneborg has 2 x 36 tons cranes, 120 tons quarter ramp and a total of 2200 LM capacity.[mappress]Nordana, May 13, 2014
Get your free guest access SIGN UP TODAY Subscribe now for unlimited access Subscribe to Building today and you will benefit from:Unlimited access to all stories including expert analysis and comment from industry leadersOur league tables, cost models and economics dataOur online archive of over 10,000 articlesBuilding magazine digital editionsBuilding magazine print editionsPrinted/digital supplementsSubscribe now for unlimited access.View our subscription options and join our community Stay at the forefront of thought leadership with news and analysis from award-winning journalists. Enjoy company features, CEO interviews, architectural reviews, technical project know-how and the latest innovations.Limited access to building.co.ukBreaking industry news as it happensBreaking, daily and weekly e-newsletters To continue enjoying Building.co.uk, sign up for free guest accessExisting subscriber? LOGIN
Cobham’s products and services contributed to the recent deployment of NASA’s Cyclone Global Navigation Satellite System (CYGNSS). CYGNSS consists of eight Low Earth Orbiting (LEO) micro-satellites and seeks to improve weather prediction by studying the interaction between ocean surface properties, moist atmospheric thermodynamics, radiation, and convective dynamics as it relates to Tropical Cyclones. The NASA team consists of the Southwest Research Institute (SwRI), University of Michigan, Surrey Satellite Technology, and Sierra Nevada Corporation.The Cobham Gaisler’s GR712RC LEON3 Microprocessor was selected by SwRI as the main computer for each of the CYGNSS satellites while Cobham Gaisler’s LEON3 processor IP core was also used in the CYGNSS Delay Doppler Mapping Instrument (DDMI) payload as part of Surrey Satellite Technology’s Space GNSS Receiver-Remote Sensing Instrument (SGR-ReSI). Cobham Semiconductor Solutions’ RadHard Memory products and Circuit Card Assembly services also contributed to the CYGNSS mission.The GR712RC enables a high level of system integration by providing a multitude of interfaces. This, combined with the high computational power of the two processor cores, makes it an attractive system-on-chip device with low power consumption that is easy to integrate in spacecraft platform and payload. The LEON3 processor IP soft core, meanwhile, offers the possibility to integrate the same processor into custom designed microelectronics, while maintaining the compatibility with the GR712RC, offering great savings in software infrastructure and development time.
(ANTtention Media Fresh) Sepuluh penumpang gelap tewas dan 24 lainnya luka-luka saat kereta barang tergelincir di Republik Demokrasi Kongo tepatnya di wilayah timur pada hari Minggu (11/11/20118) kemarin. Kereta ini tergelincir saat perjalanan menuju pusat kota Kindu ketika berhenti di dekat Samba.Baca juga: 18 Orang Tewas di Taiwan Akibat Kereta Cepat TergelincirRehema Omari, kepala stasiun di Kota Samba mengatakan, saat itu kereta tengah keadaan melaju dalam kecepatan tinggi dan tiba-tiba rem ditarik paksa untuk berhenti. Dia mengatakan ada sepuluh penumpang tewas dan 24 luka-luka dan masih dilakukan penyelidikan untuk kepastian korban. Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Like this:Like Loading… Related18 Orang Tewas di Taiwan Akibat Kereta Cepat Tergelincir22/10/2018In “Darat”Inilah 10 Kecelakaan Kereta Terburuk di Dunia21/04/2018In “Darat”Kereta di Rumania Terbakar, Diduga Akibat Korsleting28/11/2019In “Darat” “Saat kejadian itu masinis kereta melarikan diri,” ujar Omari yang dikutip KabarPenumpang.com dari laman straitstimes.com (12/11/2018).Namun, seorang pejabat dinas migrasi mengatakan dirinya melihat sekitar 30 jenazah hancur dan yang lainnya di bawah gerbong kereta. Direktur perusahaan kereta api negara SNCC Lubumbashi, Ilunga Ilunkamba mengatakan, para petugas dilapangan saat ini sedang menghitung kebenaran jumlah korban dan tengah melakukan penyelidikan kecelakaan kereta tersebut.Pihak SNCC yang berkantor pusat di Lubumbashi mengatakan, kereta itu berhenti di dekat Samba sekitar 280km arah selatan. Dimana kecelakaan tersebut terjadi di daerah bekas koloni Belgia yang memiliki jalur mematikan karena trek yang lesu dan lokomotif tua dan sudah beroperasi sejak tahun 1960-an.Pada November 2017 lalu, sekitar 33 orang tewas setelah kereta barang yang mengangkut bahan-bahan mudah terbakar jatuh di Republik Demikrasi Kongo di wilayah tenggara tepatnya di provinsi Lualaba selatan. Awalnya ada delapan orang tewas yang diumumkan oleh Menteri Pertambangan Jean Marie Tshizainga.Baca juga: Minimalisir Kecelakaan di Perlintasan Sebidang, Kaohsiung Luncurkan Layanan Kereta Bawah TanahKemudian diketahui, ada korban yang terbakar parah dan merupakan penumpang gelap kereta barang tersebut dari Lubumbashi ke Luena di wilayah pertambangan Katanga. Kereta itu membawa 13 gerbong termasuk tangki bahan bakar ketika itu tergelincir di lereng di Buyofwe, dekat sebuah stasiun kereta api yang terletak sekitar 30 km dari Lubudi di provinsi Lualaba, sebelum terbakar.Tak hanya itu, belum lama ini, sebuah kereta juga tergelincir dan menewaskan sekitar 18 orang dan 170 lainnya luka-luka di Taiwan. Kereta itu tergelincir dan gerbong-gerbong tersebut dalam bentuk zig-zag di rel kereta.
VILA-REAL, Spain, (Reuters) – Barcelona’s Lionel Messi came off the bench in his side’s hour of need to inspire the Liga leaders to battle back from 4-2 down in stoppage time to snatch a remarkable 4-4 draw at struggling Villarreal yesterday. The Catalans avoided a first league loss since November with a thumping left-foot strike from Luis Suarez deep into added time after captain and top scorer Messi gave them hope with a deadly free kick in the 90th minute.The draw saw Barca’s lead over Atletico Madrid, who earlier won 2-0 at home to Girona, trimmed to eight points ahead of Saturday’s top-of-the-table clash at the Nou Camp. Barcelona have 70 points to Atletico’s 62 with eight games left.Even without Messi, Gerard Pique and Ivan Rakitic in their starting lineup, the visitors still strolled into the lead through a Philippe Coutinho goal in the 12th minute, which Brazilian forward Malcom soon doubled with a header. But Villarreal, who began the game one point above the relegation zone, hauled themselves into contention with a strike from 19-year-old Samuel Chukwueze midway through the first half.Cameroon striker Karl Toko Ekambi took advantage of slack positioning from Barca goalkeeper Marc-Andre ter Stegen to equalise soon after the interval and Vicente Iborra completed the home side’s remarkable revival just after the hour mark.Barca’s Argentine talisman Messi was called from the bench to rescue the champions but instead Villarreal increased their lead with a strike from their substitute Carlos Bacca. Villarreal’s Alvaro Gonzalez was then dismissed for a second booking with four minutes remaining, paving the way for South Americans Messi and Suarez to strike for Barcelona and produce a remarkable finish to an enthralling contest.“It was a crazy game, one which it seemed either side could have won comfortably, and it speaks volumes about the strength of this league, where you can never assume you’re going to win a game easily,” said Barca coach Ernesto Valverde.“It was very important not to lose, even though we wanted the three points. The sensation we felt with the late comeback makes us feel very good, it shows we are never ready to give in. If we’d lost we’d be feeling different about the Atletico game.” EARLY ADVANTAGEBarca seized an early advantage when Brazilian Malcom tore down the right wing and rolled the ball across the goal for Coutinho to tap into an empty net.Malcom then scored his first goal in La Liga by heading home a cross from Arturo Vidal, while Coutinho should have made it 3-0 but his attempted chip bounced off the far post. Villarreal got back into the game with the help of veteran midfielder Santi Cazorla, who picked out Chukwueze with an incisive pass, and although the Nigerian shot against the post, he calmly tucked the rebound into the net.The hosts were galvanised and produced a bold and exciting display of counter-attacking football that made it easy to forget they have been struggling at the foot of the table for most of the season.But, spurred on by Messi, Barca roared back to life, showing why they enjoy such a generous lead at the top of the league.Despite the euphoria of the game’s finale, Valverde urged his players to improve for the rest of the season as they look to win a treble of La Liga, Champions League and Copa del Rey. “This game should help us a lot with the games we have left and make us realise that there’s still a lot left to do,” he said with Atletico up next and Manchester United waiting in next week’s Champions league quarter-final, first leg.“We can’t allow our opponents to outnumber us in attack like they did today, if we are to attack well we need to defend well.”
Getty Images for NYFW: The Shows/Nicholas Hunt(LOS ANGELES) — The Los Angeles Police Department’s Robbery Homicide Division has interviewed a potential victim of a sexual assault involving Harvey Weinstein, which allegedly occurred in 2013, ABC News has confirmed.The case is under investigation.Earlier Thursday, New York Police Department Chief of Detectives Robert Boyce said that New York City police have referred allegations against the disgraced film mogul to other police departments, though it was not clear if the LAPD investigation pertained to one of those cases. The referrals were made to jurisdictions in the United States and overseas based on calls to a police hotline about Weinstein, Boyce added.Police declined to discuss specifics.“Several calls have been received on our CrimeStoppers Hotline regarding Mr. Weinstein,” Boyce said. “None of those calls have alleged any criminal conduct within the New York City area.”Complaints about Weinstein cannot be pursued locally if they involve events that occurred outside New York City.More than three dozen women have accused Weinstein of sexual misconduct, including harassment and assault, but he has not been charged with a crime.The movie producer has acknowledged inappropriate behavior, but has “unequivocally denied” any allegations of non-consensual sex, his spokesman said.Weinstein, 68, was terminated by The Weinstein Company in the wake of the allegations, though he later offered his resignation. ABC News confirmed that he is also pursuing a claim that he was wrongfully fired.In addition, he was expelled from the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, and the Producers Guild of America has voted to begin termination proceedings against him. A final determination will be reached next month. On Thursday the board of British Film Institute voted to strip Weinstein of its prestigious BFI Fellowship honor, which he was awarded in 2002.Copyright © 2017, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.Powered by WPeMatico Related