Would you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletters To access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week.
An increase in the number of firms aggressively chasing cases against other legal practices is behind a significant rise in the number of professional negligence claims, according to figures published today. City firm RPC says the number of negligence claims filed in the High Court against solicitors has grown by 33% this year, from 98 to 130.This increase is symptomatic of a wider rise of 170% in claims against solicitors and barristers since 2012.RPC says conveyancing claims continue to make up around 50% of cases, but there are notable rises in the numbers of negligence claims involving inheritance and trusts.The firm says the growth in professional negligence specialist firms is behind the rising numbers.‘These firms often use aggressive advertising campaigns, including on daytime TV, to target individuals who are disappointed with the outcome of a personal injury claim or who have settled a divorce solicitor who handled their original case,’ said RPC.At the same time, the increase in the number of litigants in person – who do not have a legal adviser to talk them out of pursuing weak claims – has seen more cases end up in court.Joe Bryant, partner at RPC comments: ‘Dissatisfied clients are becoming increasingly likely to pursue a negligence claim against their solicitor. Advertising campaigns both by those specialist professional negligence law firms seeking to sue solicitors and organisations promoting access to the complaints system has meant that clients are more aware of how to make a claim than ever before, and therefore are more likely to pursue one if they feel their solicitor or barrister made an error during their case.‘Whilst this is undoubtedly good news for the consumer, there is still not enough knowledge about how complaints against solicitors should be brought, meaning that unrepresented individuals are pursing claims through the courts and placing significant strain on already severely stretched resources.’The rise, which had been predicted in January, has included an increase in allegations over the mishandling of money in inheritance matters.RPC says more complex family structures, caused by divorcing and remarrying, have led to wider and less foreseeable inheritance claims, and this has created a ‘significant trap’ for the solicitor drafting a will.Bad feeling among disjointed families also increases the likelihood of a will being challenged after death, and this almost inevitably brings in the probate solicitor ‘caught in the crossfire’.
Sharing is caring! Share The national executive of the Dominica Labour Party (DLP) has endorsed the government’s decision to adjourn the sitting of Parliament without consideration of eight amendment bills.A statement issued to the media by the DLP’s secretary, Dr Philbert Aaron on Wednesday 31 May 2017, indicates that the decision was taken during the National executive’s meeting in Bagatelle on Saturday 27 May 2017.According to the statement, the DLP executive passed the following motions;“1: The Executive of the Dominica Labour Party strongly condemns the senseless blockage of the Salisbury section of the E. O. Leblanc Highway on Monday, May 22, 2017. The mayhem caused by the burning of debris and vehicles halted the flow of traffic between the second town of Portsmouth in the North and the capital city of Roseau in the South and compromised the integrity of the road in the Salisbury area.We frown upon the throwing of stones at the members of the general public and at the police who came to restore order after this brazen act of lawlessness. These illegal actions put life and property at risk of injury from missiles, impeded the movement of students on their way to sit CSEC examinations, and disrupted access to vital medical and other services.We commend the patience and the forbearance of the Dominica Police Force during this shameful display of lawlessness and criminal behaviour and urge them to spare no effort in bringing the perpetrators to justice.2: We, the Executive members of the Dominica Labour Party, noted with alarm and consternation, the orchestrated build up of unabated passion of supporters of the opposition United Workers Party leading up to the last sitting of the House of Assembly which commenced on Tuesday May 23. We are dismayed at the threat of violence, the possible loss of life and the destruction of state property that was signalled by the clandestine gathering of stones in the vicinity of the House of Assembly by a riotous mob.Therefore: We, the Executive of the Dominica Labour Party, endorse and stand firmly behind the decision of the DLP Political Leader, Hon. Roosevelt Skerrit, Prime Minister of Dominica, who is the leader of Government business in the House of Assembly to adjourn the last sitting of parliament without further consideration of the remaining items on the Order Paper.We are convinced that the Prime Minister’s decision prevented chaos which could have led to death and destruction. And we, the Executive, are eternally grateful for this!!” Share Tweet Share 263 Views 6 comments LocalNewsPolitics DLP endorses decision to adjourn Parliament by: Dominica Vibes News – May 31, 2017
The Airline Vikings and Haughton Buccaneers picked up District 1-5A victories Friday evening.Airline defeated Southwood 3-1 at Southwood, and Haughton dropped Captain Shreve 9-5 at Haughton. Elsewhere in 1-5A, Parkway fell to Byrd 4-1 at LSUS.Airline improved to 17-8 overall and 7-0 in 1-5A. Captain Shreve is in second place at 5-3 followed by Haughton (4-4), Byrd (3-4), Southwood (3-4) and Parkway (0-7).At Airline, Vikings pitcher Andrew Lowe struck out 12 and scattered seven hits. Cameron Taylor went 2-for-3 with a triple and two RBI. Tanner Daniel had a double.The Vikings and Cowboys will resume Thursday’s suspended game Saturday at noon at Airline. The Vikings lead 4-0 in the bottom of the second. Game 3 will be played immediately following.At Haughton, Seth Bradshaw went 3-for-4 with an RBI as the Bucs improved to 14-10 overall. Sam Wallace had two doubles and two RBI. Tyler Davis went 2-for-3. Triston Carmack also had two hits. Seth Ryan had three RBI.Carmack had a solid outing on the mound, allowing five hits in six innings.The final game of the series is 2 p.m. Saturday at Shreve.At LSUS, Bryan Day’s double was one of four Parkway hits against the Jackets. Byrd’s Andrew Suggs went 3-for-3 with a double. Jackets pitcher Jonathon Fincher struck out nine.The Panthers and Jackets must complete Thursday’s suspended game before playing Game 3 Saturday. Byrd is leading 2-0 in the bottom of the first.The Benton Tigers will try to rebound from Wednesday’s loss to North DeSoto when they host Minden in a noon game Saturday.— Russell Hedges, firstname.lastname@example.orgTop Expat InsuranceExpat Living in Hong Kong without Health Insurance?Top Expat Insurance|SponsoredSponsoredUndoNews gadgetThis watch takes the whole country by storm! it’s price? Ridiculous!News gadget|SponsoredSponsoredUndoTheTopFiveVPNThe Secret Netflix Doesn’t Want You To Know To Unblock RestrictionsTheTopFiveVPN|SponsoredSponsoredUndoPerfect-Dating.comAre You Ready to Meet Cool Guys in Tung Chung?Perfect-Dating.com|SponsoredSponsoredUndoTheTopFiveVPNThe Trick Netflix Doesn’t Want You To Know To Unlock RestrictionsTheTopFiveVPN|SponsoredSponsoredUndoCelebsland.com9 Celebrity Before-And-After Plastic Surgery DisastersCelebsland.com|SponsoredSponsoredUndo
Harrison Ford attends Lucasfilm’s “Star Wars: The Force Awakens” panel on day 2 of Comic-Con International on Friday, July 10, 2015, in San Diego, Calif. (Photo by Richard Shotwell/Invision/AP) Chris Hardwick, from left Kathleen Kennedy, J.J. Abrams, Lawrence Kasdan, John Boyega, Daisy Ridley, and Oscar Isaac attend Lucasfilm’s “Star Wars: The Force Awakens” panel on day 2 of Comic-Con International on Friday, July 10, 2015, in San Diego, Calif. (Photo by Richard Shotwell/Invision/AP) J.J. Abrams speaks at Lucasfilm’s “Star Wars: The Force Awakens” panel on day 2 of Comic-Con International on Friday, July 10, 2015, in San Diego, Calif. (Photo by Richard Shotwell/Invision/AP) Carrie Fisher, from left, Mark Hamill, and Harrison Ford attend Lucasfilm’s “Star Wars: The Force Awakens” panel on day 2 of Comic-Con International on Friday, July 10, 2015, in San Diego, Calif. (Photo by Richard Shotwell/Invision/AP) Ford, making his first public appearance since his plane crash in March left him hospitalized and injured, assured the audience and host Chris Hardwick that he was fine. The already excitable crowd exploded when Ford, the last to be introduced, walked out.Seated next to Hamill, the gruff Ford was not hesitant to talk about his reluctance to revisit the world of “Star Wars” and the character of Han Solo.“It should have felt ridiculous, it was 30 years ago,” Ford said. “I sort of grew up.”He never thought that he’d do another film after the original trilogy.“I was very gratified when I read the script because I read something that I thought was really remarkable, really well-written and with some very intriguing developments,” Ford said. “I was delighted to be involved and I was very happy to be part of the story and the cast again.”“The Force Awakens,” which hits theaters on Dec. 18, picks up about 30 years after the events of “Return of the Jedi.”Before fans were treated to the “Star Wars” veterans, they were introduced to the newcomers on the light side of the force and, for the first time, those on the dark side.Adam Driver, Gwendoline Christie and Domhnall Gleeson were on hand representing the bad guys. As the mysterious three-pronged lightsaber-wielding Kylo Ren, Driver tried to skirt any questions about his character.When pressed, he talked vaguely about the philosophy of evil.“We didn’t really have a lot of conversations about bad or evil when we were shooting it,” said Driver. “It was more the difference between being bad and being right.”Gleeson, whose character’s name was revealed to be General Hux, didn’t hesitate to say that he was evil. While talking about getting the role, Gleeson accidentally “spoiled” the name of his command station, much to the dismay of Abrams.It’s “Starkiller Base.” SAN DIEGO | The cast and filmmakers of “Star Wars: The Force Awakens” debuted a new behind-the-scenes reel and teased some new information at Comic-Con about the highly secretive film to a rapturous Hall H audience.Filmmaker J.J. Abrams and Lucasfilm President Kathleen Kennedy were eventually joined on stage Friday by “Star Wars” veterans and “Force Awakens” stars Harrison Ford, Mark Hamill and Carrie Fisher. Christie, who plays the chrome stormtrooper Captain Phasma, talked about how neat it was to be playing a character in full costume who is “not about the way she looks in the flesh.”Representing the light side of the force were Daisy Ridley, John Boyega and Oscar Isaac, who had spoken previously about their roles at the annual Star Wars Celebration event in Anaheim.Though not much else was gleaned about Ridley’s scavenger Rey, Boyega’s stormtrooper Finn or Isaac’s X-Wing pilot Poe Dameron, all offered anecdotes about their time on set.To prepare for his role, Isaac asked Ford for some advice about piloting in “Star Wars.”Ford just said, “It’s fake.”There was no new footage to be seen. Abrams is currently editing the film and has a cut, but wants to keep tweaking to make it the film “it wants to be.” He also said another trailer will come out in the fall.But Abrams did debut a behind-the-scenes reel that was made available online shortly after the panel concluded.In addition to interviews with Hamill, Ridley and others, it focused on the practical effects used in the film — a recurring theme in all of Abrams’ comments about the film, which hopes to re-create the aesthetic of the original trilogy.“Everything’s changed but nothing’s changed,” said Hamill in the clip. “That’s the way you want it to be.”Not to be outdone, Abrams and Kennedy, who had already treated the ravenous Hall H fans to coffee and doughnuts before the panel started, announced that there was one more surprise: An imminent “Star Wars” concert at an adjacent stage. All 6,500 Hall H attendees were invited.And their escorts?Stormtroopers, of course.